Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Our Firsts



This was our first day of class! 


Yesterday, we started our homeschool adventure. It went great, considering I can be scattered sometimes. Hi, my name is Geraldine and I am a procrastinator. The plan for the afternoon was to go through two lessons of Alpha-Phonics and go to sleep feeling accomplished and ready to conquer the world. Well, that would've happened if I had read through the entire lesson plan! I didn't, so at the last minute, I hurriedly flipped through the pages of the book and decided to wing it. God is merciful and gave us a great time of encouragement and learning. This is definitely an area I will continue to work on...probably until I die. I have faith!

Today, Amaris had her first Classical Conversation class! We were so excited for this because to her, she was going to school like Caillou (I'm not knocking the show, but does anyone else notice how whiny he is?).
I was surprised as to how high paced it was. We went over the curriculum in the practicum as well as orientation but it was intense! The kids loved it because of that. There was never down time to lose them and the material was fun. The class went through 7 history facts, states and capitals, an English sentence, Latin, Science, skip counting, and art. Whew! I got tired just writing that! I do have to say, you have to be a special person to be a tutor to the young ones. Mrs. Lindsey was great with the kids and had them laughing the entire time. 



For the rest of the week, we will go over everything we did at CC with the addition of a few things. I have a few crafts up my sleeves (thank you Pinterest!) as well as more Alpha-Phonics. The thing I love the most about this age is that I get to explore everything with her. We get to make mistakes together and learn from them. I made this a HUGE point as we were reading. Amaris hates making mistakes. I can see the anguish in her face as she is trying to think of the answer to a question. I encouraged her on Monday to LET IT GO! (Frozen is our friend)
I told her that mommy makes mistakes and that we can only do this because God gives us the grace and courage to do it. Without that, we will never do anything because fear will stop us. She was hyped up at this point and proceeded to knock everything off the table with a big "YEAH!". Then I joined her and jumped around filled with the joy of the Lord. 

Mommies, I can't do this. I can't teach my child from Kindergarten through Highschool graduation. I completed 2 semesters of college and then had a beautiful baby at a young age. I am not worthy of being the sole educator for this child. The only reason why I am doing this is because my God is bigger than any of my insecurities. He is bigger than my lack of know how. He guides me and guides you as well. He has a plan for my daughter and knows exactly the reason why He made me her mommy. That astounds me. It humbles me and makes me want to lay everything at His feet and trust His works. 



It is going to be an amazing year!

Many Blessings, 
Blessed momma 

2 comments:

  1. This is exciting! "Mistakes" are good. They help us remember that we can't do any of this alone. It's fun to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful! So humble and honest... It encouraged me to trust God with my insecurities <33

    ReplyDelete