Saturday, September 20, 2014

Our first lapbook!


I think I'm more excited about this than my daughter is. I've found myself showing EVERYONE that stepped into my house the lapbook (Yup, I've been that annoying). Truthfully, it feels like a huge accomplishment and our first complete project.

 A few weeks back we began our ladybug lapbook by researching and reading a ton of books (the library is our friend!). Amaris learned so many facts and loved every activity. I believe this is such a great way to teach. Having a tactile learner on my hands made me extremely nervous because I am not crafty at all! Thankfully, there are great lapbooking websites and resources that help families lacking the craft bone. 

    

I loved the layout we used with "The Grouchy Ladybug".
It was clean, easy to understand, and the activities were perfect for Amaris. I did add the ladybug life cycle wheel from a download. Our absolute favorite was the thumbprint art. I had a multi-color inkpad and with that, she created the grass, sun, and ladybugs. Then added spots and smiley faces to top it all off. So cute! I definitely reccommend this unit.


 The only thing I would change is the size of the manila folders I used for the book. I folded it into the standard three-sided display and quickly ran out of space. I searched for different options and found a wonderful way to glue two of them together (again, this is not my strength). 
The next unit we are starting is caterpillars. That will last for about a week or two because we only school 2 or 3 days a week. Then, we will transition to butterflies which will last another two weeks. 

I am so encouraged by this unit. Not only did I witness my daughter learning and retaining great information, but we finished something we started. That, for me, is such a huge deal. I have mentioned before that I am a starter, not a finisher. By God's grace were we able to carry this from start to finish. A lot of prayer and scripture reading happened. That is exactly the way He wants it and how my husband and I want to school our little girl. This is God-centered teaching.

Many Blessings,
Not so crafty momma

No comments:

Post a Comment